Keep Antifreeze Away from Your Pets
Fall is the time to winterize your car and many people change the antifreeze at this time of year. But antifreeze can be deadly to your pets. One to two teaspoons is enough to kill a 10-pound dog or cat. Antifreeze contains ethylene glycol, which has a sickly-sweet smell that entices pets to eat it.
It’s very important to clean up spills immediately and make sure to keep your pets away from the garage while you’re working on your vehicle. Make sure there is no antifreeze leaking from your car onto the driveway where any pets might find it. Ethylene glycol is also found in engine coolant and hydraulic brake fluids.
Antifreeze poisoning affects the brain, liver, and kidneys. Some common signs of antifreeze poisoning in dogs and cats include:
- Drunken behavior
- Wobbly, uncoordinated movement
- Excessive urination
- Rapid heart beat
- Seizures/Convulsions/Shaking tremors
Call your veterinarian immediately if you suspect your pet has consumed any product containing ethylene glycol. Animals who receive immediate veterinary care can recover successfully—but the longer they remain untreated, the less likely they are to survive.
Please do everything you can to protect your pets from this deadly poison!