Skip to content

Five Holiday Hazards for Your Dog

12/15/2012
Dog with Christmas wrap

Klip Joint Dog Grooming wishes you and your dog a safe and happy holiday season.

1. Holiday Food Hazards for Dogs

It’s normal to want the family dog to share in the special holiday food. But, unless you know you’re sharing only the foods that are best for them, it’s wise to refrain. Not only do dogs have different nutritional needs, they can also be poisoned by some of our favorite holiday foods.

Chocolate is poisonous for dogs. PetMD states that it can affect different dogs in different ways and depends largely on body weight and type of chocolate. Baking chocolate is more toxic than milk chocolate. Small dogs are more at risk than large dogs, since the same quantity of chocolate in a smaller body can make the situation life threatening.

Grapes and raisins are another poison for dogs. Many holiday treats and breads are cooked with raisins. Be sure not to feed the family pet any leftovers to avoid putting his health at risk.

If you think your dog may have consumed an unsafe food, call the veterinarian for advice.

2. Electric Cords Pose Chewing Risk for Pets

Typical Christmas decorations involve electrical cords for lights and other displays. Unfortunately, chewing puppies may find these cords irresistible. The best thing to do is keep your dog away from the cords. This may involve covering the electrical cords with PVC pipe or keeping your dog in a crate when he can’t be closely supervised in the room.

3. Unfamiliar Children a Holiday Pet Hazard

Children are drawn to animals. Many people are unaware this can be a hazard for the pet and the child. If dogs are not used to young children, they could become nervous and bite or scratch.

Children can be over-enthusiastic when playing with a relative’s pet and inadvertently hurt it or scare it. Likewise, a dog may feel territorial when a child is in his space.

It’s always a good idea to supervise young children around unfamiliar pets. This is extremely important for dogs that aren’t used to children.

4. Holiday Plants and Pets

Some holiday plants can be poisonous for pets. The ASPCA website lists Poinsettia and the Christmas Rose as poisonous to both cats and dogs.

You don’t have to ban your favorite Christmas plants because of your pets. Many dogs avoid the plants on their own. For those that don’t, pet owners can keep the plants out of their animal’s reach.

5. Candles Can Be a Pet Hazard

Not only can a pet accidently knock over a burning candle, but some puppies may decide to chew up a candle that contains toxic chemicals. To prevent fires, candles should never be left unattended. The best policy is to keep them out of the room when a puppy is present.

Pets can sometimes be overlooked during the hustle and bustle of the holidays. Take a few moments to evaluate pet safety in your house to ensure a safe, cheery holiday for you and your pet.

Advertisements
2 Comments leave one →
  1. 01/24/2013 12:33 am

    Every informative and interesting guide – I have tweeted this valuable info all doggy owners should know.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: